Thursday, July 1, 2010

Gazpacho - A Cool Summer Soup

When our family was in Shreveport, I made Gazpacho to serve with our Jambalaya.  It just seemed like a nice, cool addition to the menu.  Some of the family asked for the recipe, so I thought I'd post it here.  Hope you enjoy it!

6 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped (I used 2 cans of diced tomatoes)
1 purple onion, finely chopped
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 sweet red pepper (or green), seeded and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbs. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2 tsp. sugar
6 drops Tabasco, or to taste
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
4 cups tomato juice
Salt and pepper, to taste

Combine all ingredients.  Pour 1/2 of mixture into blender and blend to desired consistency.  Remix with original mixture.  Place in plastic or non-reactive container and chill overnight.  For chopped ingredients, I just pulsed them in the food processor for a few seconds.  Putting 1/2 of the mixture in the blender gives the soup a creamier consistency.  You can leave out this step if you want a thinner soup.

When serving, garnish with some chopped chives sprinkled on top.

1 comment:

Brandi Hart said...

It sure was yummy! Thanks for the recipe!